INTERCEPT-Technology™ is a corrosion protection method which, for over 20 years in numerous applications, has proven its long lasting effectiveness in extreme conditions.
The technology was born from the restoration and protection efforts on the Statue of Liberty in New York. The technology was developed at that time by AT&T Bell Laboratories, first for their own use. It was later patented worldwide by AT&T Bell Labs, additionally by Lucent Technologies (current name: Alcatel Lucent).
Now the technology finds its way into a wide range of products and application fields in order to ensure a robust and more secure protection against corrosion and ESD damage during transport and storage, thereby reducing, in some cases significantly, process costs for the end user.
The technology’s unique method of working allows the user to tackle known problems with new approaches and subsequently increases their competitiveness.
Only Intercept utilizes high-surface area Copper particles (CU) that are bound firmly into the plastic film uniquely able to quickly and efficiently neutralize corrosive gases and provide protection against corrosion like no other technology available for industry.
What is Static Intercept®
What is the Intercept-Technology™
– the easy answer would be the standard line about it combining permanent ESD protection for electronics as well as providing long term protection against corrosion, oxidation and tarnishing which not only affects the physical appearance of the metal, but also affects its electrical properties. Corrosion and static electricity are lethal weapons for metals as well as electronics. Intercept was designed to protect against both.
So a more complete explanation is required:
(1) How is it made?
A highly reactive Copper is reacted into a polymer structure. The Copper is chemically bonded into the plastic so that it cannot move or agglomerate. The Copper allows the plastic to act like a solid sheet of high surface area, highly reactive Copper – or to look at it another way; it allows a Copper sheet to act like a plastic.
(2) So can the plastic be heat-sealed?
Yes, the Intercept materials only marginally affect heat sealing.
(3) How does the Intercept-Technology™ stop corrosion?
- Intercept acts as a very efficient reactive barrier to gases trying to migrate into the closed container or bag. At normal levels of Sulphur it takes Sulphur 10 years to move through 1 mil of Intercept. Similar tests were run at DuPont on Chlorine – the results showed that it took 15 years per mil of Intercept for the Chlorine gas to move through the film. The gases that cause corrosion are all reactive and they will react with and be permanently neutralized by the Intercept.
- Intercept cleanses trapped air within a sealed or closed environment, within hours the inside environment is free from corrosive gases.
- Intercept helps protect galvanic corrosion by being a very effective electrical shunt. Intercept “turns” on electrically at .7 volts
There are 2 types of Intercept. Corrosion Intercept® (Copper colour) was developed first. It had great corrosion protection but not effective ESD properties. Static Intercept® (Dark Brown) has the same chemistry as Corrosion Intercept®, but it also has ESD properties – such as permanently anti-static, non-tribo charging, humidity independent, non-out gassing, etc. However a new form has also been developed, which combines non-degrading, non-changing, reusable shielding with the cleanliness, recyclability and corrosion protection of Intercept – called RIBS.
Intercept-Technology™ Benefits over other older volatile and oil based technology’s
- Oil free no application cost.
- No oil or volatile removal cost at receiver end.
- Reusable up to 3 cycles.
- Allows for rotation of bearings and shafts.
- Items able to be inspected without loosing protection.
- Scavenging technology allowing higher density packaging.
- Intercept products up to 5 years / washable / anti static.
- Long and short term protection.
- No off gassing.
- No OH&S issues non volatile worker safe.
- Temperature independent one product all climates.
- Intercept outdoor products UV stabilized.
- No size or volume restrictions.
- Dose not contain any solvents.
- Recyclable at receivers end cost positive.
- Safe for transport of air freight.
- Static dissipative.
- Long shelf life when kept in Intercept.
- No emitters required.
- M.V.T.R improves with time.
- Ferrous and non ferrous protection.
- Optical safe.
- Poly carbonate safe. Not a VCI (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor)